Club Penguin Planet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

KDE | The K Desktop Environment

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Creeper
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Registration date : 2008-04-06

KDE | The K Desktop Environment Empty
PostSubject: KDE | The K Desktop Environment   KDE | The K Desktop Environment EmptyDecember 20th 2009, 11:44 am

As you know, I am a pretty big fan of linux. I have recently been using a really cool linux desktop called KDE. I used to use Gnome but gnome gets boring at times and does not look better than KDE.

Here is a picture of my KDE desktop:
https://2img.net/h/oi47.tinypic.com/2po5u7n.png

As you can see, the theme is VERY sleek and modern. Plus, it comes with a great amount of widgets. As you can see, my desktop contains a lot of widgets.

If you would like to know more about kde, go to its website:
http://www.kde.org/

If you are interested in switching to kde, you can get it on windows (i do not know if kde for windows is stable) or on linux (stable).

Here are a few popular linux distros that provide kde:
-Kubuntu (based off of the VERY popular ubuntu)
-Opensuse (made by Novell. It is very stable but can take a bit of time to start up compared to others.)
-Mandriva (great desktop effects and very stable but it would not find my printer or mount my flashdrive so it needs a bit of work)
-Fedora (I do not know much about fedora but it is known to be very good)

I probably missed a few but those are really good.

Kde also supports compiz. For those who do not know about compiz, you can watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhg7dkMtD9g
You need a decent graphics card for it so do not be surprised if it will not work for you.
Back to top Go down
Linky
The Linky
The Linky
Linky

Registration date : 2009-04-16

PostSubject: Re: KDE | The K Desktop Environment   KDE | The K Desktop Environment EmptyDecember 20th 2009, 12:06 pm

Cool Brian!
I like the wallpaper.

~Linky
Back to top Go down
Bronze
Vanguard
Vanguard
Bronze

Registration date : 2009-05-24

PostSubject: Re: KDE | The K Desktop Environment   KDE | The K Desktop Environment EmptyDecember 20th 2009, 4:07 pm

Looks really cool. I like the colours but not the start button ;P

I need to clear up my PC and I may replace vista with this.
Back to top Go down
Creeper
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

PostSubject: Re: KDE | The K Desktop Environment   KDE | The K Desktop Environment EmptyDecember 20th 2009, 4:08 pm

Cool. You could always dual boot so you do not lose your files. I dual boot windows xp and ubuntu.

I don't like the start button so I switched it to this after I took the picture: (kubuntu's logo)
KDE | The K Desktop Environment Icon10
Back to top Go down
FlyingKanga
Super-Human
Super-Human
FlyingKanga

Registration date : 2009-04-15

PostSubject: Re: KDE | The K Desktop Environment   KDE | The K Desktop Environment EmptyDecember 20th 2009, 5:58 pm

I have a dual boot. Windows Vista and Windows 7. I have no idea how you do it. My dad probably did it. The thing I don't like about Ubuntu is that they have a weird way for downloading.

I might get Ubuntu but.
Back to top Go down
Bronze
Vanguard
Vanguard
Bronze

PostSubject: Re: KDE | The K Desktop Environment   KDE | The K Desktop Environment EmptyDecember 20th 2009, 6:54 pm

BabboNatale wrote:
Cool. You could always dual boot so you do not lose your files. I dual boot windows xp and ubuntu.

I don't like the start button so I switched it to this after I took the picture: (kubuntu's logo)
KDE | The K Desktop Environment Icon10

I feel like a noob asking, but can you remove the OS that you chose to dual boot at any time? And how much is required to partition it?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: KDE | The K Desktop Environment   KDE | The K Desktop Environment EmptyDecember 20th 2009, 9:04 pm

{Use Wubi}

Make sure you download the ISO though, or it will download it for you. KDE | The K Desktop Environment 75551
Back to top Go down
Bronze
Vanguard
Vanguard
Bronze

PostSubject: Re: KDE | The K Desktop Environment   KDE | The K Desktop Environment EmptyDecember 21st 2009, 10:58 am

Okay. Thanks Soviet.

Edit: Once you have downloaded the ISO, how do you get wubi to use it instead of downloading the standard ones itself?
Back to top Go down
FlyingKanga
Super-Human
Super-Human
FlyingKanga

Registration date : 2009-04-15

PostSubject: Re: KDE | The K Desktop Environment   KDE | The K Desktop Environment EmptyDecember 21st 2009, 8:41 pm

Don't you just format the hard drive with the Operating System in it?
Back to top Go down
Bronze
Vanguard
Vanguard
Bronze

PostSubject: Re: KDE | The K Desktop Environment   KDE | The K Desktop Environment EmptyDecember 22nd 2009, 1:37 pm

Okay, here's some screens.

Kubuntu (Kde):
Spoiler:

Gnome:
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Creeper
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

PostSubject: Re: KDE | The K Desktop Environment   KDE | The K Desktop Environment EmptyDecember 23rd 2009, 4:53 pm

You should get humane for gnome :P
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: KDE | The K Desktop Environment   KDE | The K Desktop Environment EmptyDecember 24th 2009, 1:41 am

Christmas Cold wrote:
Okay. Thanks Soviet.

Edit: Once you have downloaded the ISO, how do you get wubi to use it instead of downloading the standard ones itself?

Just place the ISO on your desktop. It will find it in a sec.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: KDE | The K Desktop Environment   KDE | The K Desktop Environment Empty

Back to top Go down

KDE | The K Desktop Environment
Page 1 of 1