Club Penguin Planet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tips for Creating Games in Flash

Go down 
+6
Hellopayton
Neo
Maria
Andreylaur
Bronze
Brenhein
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Brenhein
Lurker
Lurker
Brenhein

Registration date : 2010-01-18

Tips for Creating Games in Flash Empty
PostSubject: Tips for Creating Games in Flash   Tips for Creating Games in Flash EmptyJanuary 18th 2010, 3:42 pm

Brenhein's Flash Tips
Hello, I'm Brenhein. Many of you don't know me (Hey cold and Brian). I'm 20 years old, and I DO NOT PLAY CLUB PENGUIN. I only came here to teach you guys about programming and such.

1. When making a game, load each component in a different SWF and compile it in one - What I mean is, have a "login.swf" and a "map.swf" and have Flash load them in individually.
  2. There's a rounded square button. you know - Look to the left and select the Square tool. Notice a rounded square button appears. Type in the radius you want the square to be.
  3. Say goodbye to fake loading screens - I have no clue why, but a lot of people tend to put in fake preloaders. Just name your preloader "preload_MC" and use the size tools to calculate the size that the preloader should be. Got it? Everyone knows when a preloader is fake and when it is real.
  4. Do designing INSIDE Flash - Flash isn;t that bad of a drawing tool, so USE IT! There is no need to do it in Photoshop and copy it to Flash. Then you can edit everything within one program.
  5. Do not claim it is multiplayer when it is not - I know you want to be "cool" and claim that your project is multiplayer when it really isn't. Everyone can tell that you are lying.
  6. Do Programming BEFORE gfx - If you abandon the project, you wasted all of your time on GFX. I guess you could, but I don't recommend it.
  7. Get a REAL server - Freehosts are nice but are not reliable. Either turn your computer into a server or buy space from Hosting24.
  8. Learn BASIC PHP - PHP is your best friend when it comes to multiplayer game development. Just look at their site and their documentation.
  9. SmartFoxServer - This is the program that CLUB PENGUIN uses. It is very neat but requires expert use. Just read the documentation and download it and you're all set.
~Brenhein/PC
Back to top Go down
Bronze
Vanguard
Vanguard
Bronze

Registration date : 2009-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Tips for Creating Games in Flash   Tips for Creating Games in Flash EmptyJanuary 19th 2010, 2:12 pm

Woo, BH ;D

I don't know any advanced coding languages, but I hope to consider them in the future. I'll definitely rely on this topic if I ever consider it.
Back to top Go down
Andreylaur
Forum Dweller
Forum Dweller
Andreylaur

Registration date : 2010-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Tips for Creating Games in Flash   Tips for Creating Games in Flash EmptyJanuary 19th 2010, 4:48 pm

It's not hard to do a flash multiplayer game. It's hard to do a good one.
Back to top Go down
Brenhein
Lurker
Lurker
Brenhein

PostSubject: Re: Tips for Creating Games in Flash   Tips for Creating Games in Flash EmptyJanuary 19th 2010, 10:14 pm

Well actually it takes multiplayer sockets, so I'm assuming you have absolutely no experience in the field.
Back to top Go down
Maria
The Chosen One
The Chosen One
Maria

Registration date : 2008-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Tips for Creating Games in Flash   Tips for Creating Games in Flash EmptyJanuary 19th 2010, 10:16 pm

Brenhein wrote:
Well actually it takes multiplayer sockets, so I'm assuming you have absolutely no experience in the field.
Lulz, yeah. Ignore that nubcake, he obviously doesn't know anything about GM and RPG maker lol!
Back to top Go down
Neo
Adept
Adept
Neo

Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Tips for Creating Games in Flash   Tips for Creating Games in Flash EmptyJanuary 19th 2010, 10:35 pm

Tips for Creating Games in Flash InternetToughGuy
Oh, I'm so impressed that you can make a multiplayer online game.
Agreed with Maria, and also, there is a world outside the cold confines of your mother's basement.
Back to top Go down
Andreylaur
Forum Dweller
Forum Dweller
Andreylaur

Registration date : 2010-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Tips for Creating Games in Flash   Tips for Creating Games in Flash EmptyJanuary 20th 2010, 4:04 am

Brenhein wrote:
Maria wrote:
Brenhein wrote:
Lulz, yeah. Ignore that nubcake, he obviously doesn't know anything about GM and RPG maker lol!

I actually know to use GameMaker and RPG Maker. I even did my own games in them. :|
And from where you know what I know about those programs? Please...
Back to top Go down
Maria
The Chosen One
The Chosen One
Maria

PostSubject: Re: Tips for Creating Games in Flash   Tips for Creating Games in Flash EmptyJanuary 20th 2010, 10:29 am

andreylaur wrote:
Brenhein wrote:
Maria wrote:
Brenhein wrote:

I actually know to use GameMaker and RPG Maker. I even did my own games in them. Tips for Creating Games in Flash F1b6130b7d48cc3d121dffecfaf1b143323ae051d70d3d1d10b86729944f0e8cd1760a842018df634b034c61d34e66af0f5db199dc61cec0488137ce161bba09c6a76f7115152
I was being sarcastic... >.>
Back to top Go down
Brenhein
Lurker
Lurker
Brenhein

PostSubject: Re: Tips for Creating Games in Flash   Tips for Creating Games in Flash EmptyJanuary 20th 2010, 8:40 pm

andreylaur wrote:
Brenhein wrote:
Maria wrote:
Brenhein wrote:

I actually know to use GameMaker and RPG Maker. I even did my own games in them. :|

GameMaker and RPG Maker are the weakest programs for making true multi-player games. Learning something realistic like PHP will actually get your moving in widespread game making.
Back to top Go down
Hellopayton
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Hellopayton

Registration date : 2008-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Tips for Creating Games in Flash   Tips for Creating Games in Flash EmptyJanuary 21st 2010, 12:09 am

Brenhein wrote:
andreylaur wrote:
Brenhein wrote:
Maria wrote:
Brenhein wrote:

GameMaker and RPG Maker are the weakest programs for making true multi-player games. Learning something realistic like PHP will actually get your moving in widespread game making.

They're not the weakest, I'm sure there's far worse you could use, it's just harder. But when you really think about it, it's not all that hard. Once you get past the drag and drop features of Game Maker you can start developing something real.

Now, I know you consider yourself uber 1337 coding genius, but I'd like to remind you there are more ways to make online games than JUST PHP and Flash. You haven't even mentioned Java, or C++ for game creation.
Back to top Go down
Shadow Sora
Adept
Adept

Registration date : 2008-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Tips for Creating Games in Flash   Tips for Creating Games in Flash EmptyJanuary 21st 2010, 1:10 am

Well, some people do this for a living.
Just because they want to help us with coding doesn't make them an "Internet Tough Guy".

A person can help others with stuff like this with time enough to leave the basement. :P

Thanks for this. If I can actually figure out HOW to code, this topic will come in handy.
SSD~
Back to top Go down
Bronze
Vanguard
Vanguard
Bronze

Registration date : 2009-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Tips for Creating Games in Flash   Tips for Creating Games in Flash EmptyJanuary 21st 2010, 3:08 pm

Neo wrote:
Tips for Creating Games in Flash InternetToughGuy
Oh, I'm so impressed that you can make a multiplayer online game.
Agreed with Maria, and also, there is a world outside the cold confines of your mother's basement.

Er dude, shushupp.
Back to top Go down
Brenhein
Lurker
Lurker
Brenhein

PostSubject: Re: Tips for Creating Games in Flash   Tips for Creating Games in Flash EmptyJanuary 21st 2010, 7:20 pm

Java is a good way, but C++ is not because it requires outside modules, that you wouldn't know.
Back to top Go down
Maria
The Chosen One
The Chosen One
Maria

PostSubject: Re: Tips for Creating Games in Flash   Tips for Creating Games in Flash EmptyJanuary 21st 2010, 7:34 pm

Hellopayton wrote:
Brenhein wrote:
andreylaur wrote:
Brenhein wrote:
Maria wrote:
Brenhein wrote:

They're not the weakest, I'm sure there's far worse you could use, it's just harder. But when you really think about it, it's not all that hard. Once you get past the drag and drop features of Game Maker you can start developing something real.

Now, I know you consider yourself uber 1337 coding genius, but I'd like to remind you there are more ways to make online games than JUST PHP and Flash. You haven't even mentioned Java, or C++ for game creation.
Besides, programming is only one of the many stages of game creation; only a blind moron would play a game that looks like something my 5-year-old niece quickly drew during one of her many tantrums.
Back to top Go down
Brenhein
Lurker
Lurker
Brenhein

PostSubject: Re: Tips for Creating Games in Flash   Tips for Creating Games in Flash EmptyJanuary 21st 2010, 9:29 pm

C++ can't be used online, idiot.
Back to top Go down
Maria
The Chosen One
The Chosen One
Maria

PostSubject: Re: Tips for Creating Games in Flash   Tips for Creating Games in Flash EmptyJanuary 21st 2010, 10:03 pm

Brenhein wrote:
I'm sure that if being able to read was one if your wonderful skills, you would have understood that he was talking about game creation as a whole and not just online games.
I hope the small letters didn't strain your brain overmuch. ;)

P.S. Didn't you say you were 20? Why does your profile say you're 16? Tsk tsk.
Back to top Go down
Brenhein
Lurker
Lurker
Brenhein

PostSubject: Re: Tips for Creating Games in Flash   Tips for Creating Games in Flash EmptyJanuary 21st 2010, 10:27 pm

I never set it. Anyway, I accept your challenge, but right now I'm more concerened with getting my last-minute homework done.
Back to top Go down
Digit
The Other Guy
The Other Guy
Digit

Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Tips for Creating Games in Flash   Tips for Creating Games in Flash EmptyJanuary 21st 2010, 10:49 pm

Nice tips dude, thanks for sharing them.
Back to top Go down
Hellopayton
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Hellopayton

Registration date : 2008-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Tips for Creating Games in Flash   Tips for Creating Games in Flash EmptyJanuary 21st 2010, 11:19 pm

Brenhein wrote:
gee wilikers!
Maria wrote:
Brenhein wrote:
I'm sure that if being able to read was one if your wonderful skills, you would have understood that he was talking about game creation as a whole and not just online games.
I hope the small letters didn't strain your brain overmuch. ;)

P.S. Didn't you say you were 20? Why does your profile say you're 16? Tsk tsk.
Oh hey lookie here.

Edit:
Also since I know about the challenge I need to note you can't use Google and copy scripts. You have to make this by yourself.
Back to top Go down
Maria
The Chosen One
The Chosen One
Maria

PostSubject: Re: Tips for Creating Games in Flash   Tips for Creating Games in Flash EmptyJanuary 21st 2010, 11:59 pm

Shadow Sora wrote:
Well, some people do this for a living.
Just because they want to help us with coding doesn't make them an "Internet Tough Guy".

A person can help others with stuff like this with time enough to leave the basement. :P

Thanks for this. If I can actually figure out HOW to code, this topic will come in handy.
SSD~
Yes, but how is telling you to learn this and that going to help? If you were serious about making a game, you'd probably figure out somewhere along the way that you might have to learn some sort of coding language.
Brenhein wrote:
I never set it. Anyway, I accept your challenge, but right now I'm more concerened with getting my last-minute homework done.
Excellent. Take as much time as you want.
Back to top Go down
Brenhein
Lurker
Lurker
Brenhein

PostSubject: Re: Tips for Creating Games in Flash   Tips for Creating Games in Flash EmptyJanuary 22nd 2010, 8:50 am

And I just realized that this assignment was optional. Screw this. Anyway, you can view the source, if you wish.
Back to top Go down
sadboy222
Wanderer
Wanderer
sadboy222

Registration date : 2008-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Tips for Creating Games in Flash   Tips for Creating Games in Flash EmptyFebruary 5th 2010, 10:55 am

Thanks this will sure help alot
Back to top Go down
Tricky
Vanguard
Vanguard
Tricky

Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Tips for Creating Games in Flash   Tips for Creating Games in Flash EmptyFebruary 14th 2010, 3:45 pm

Flash multiplayer games? It is becoming the way of the world. Nice little tips you got here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tips for Creating Games in Flash   Tips for Creating Games in Flash Empty

Back to top Go down

Tips for Creating Games in Flash
Page 1 of 1