Club Penguin Planet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

So I heard...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Arbiter
Adventurer
Adventurer
Arbiter

Registration date : 2010-09-28

So I heard... Empty
PostSubject: So I heard...   So I heard... EmptyAugust 5th 2011, 9:00 pm

...Notch getting sued for using the word "Scrolls".

http://notch.tumblr.com/post/8519901309/bethesda-are-suing-us-heres-the-full-story

I think The Elder Scrolls will win.
They ARE a big company.
Back to top Go down
JazzDawg
Vanguard
Vanguard
JazzDawg

Registration date : 2008-03-27

So I heard... Empty
PostSubject: Re: So I heard...   So I heard... EmptyAugust 6th 2011, 1:33 am

I find that to be ridiculous...The word Scrolls is a common English word. I would understand them suing for "Elder Scrolls" but not just for the word Scrolls.

What if I made a game named Cherry Apples and I trademarked the name. Someone else makes a game called Apples. Would I then be able to sue that company just because they took the common English word "apple"?

I COULD understand that a potential reason for them suing Notch is because when people think of the word "scroll", Oblivion (and the other games in the series) instantly comes to mind. Bethesda doesn't want people to start instantly thinking of Notch's game when they hear the word "scroll". Other than that, they have no valid reason to sue Notch.

I love Bethesda and all of their games, and I still think that they are wrong in doing that.
Back to top Go down
Arbiter
Adventurer
Adventurer
Arbiter

So I heard... Empty
PostSubject: Re: So I heard...   So I heard... EmptyAugust 6th 2011, 11:23 am

I think Bethesda just wants money for their taxes.

Call of Duty
Call of Juarez
I don't see them suing one another.

But I think if Notch changed the name to like,"The forgotten scrolls",(or something with added words),then they would be fine.
Back to top Go down
Bronze
Vanguard
Vanguard
Bronze

Registration date : 2009-05-24

So I heard... Empty
PostSubject: Re: So I heard...   So I heard... EmptyAugust 6th 2011, 11:29 am

There was an interesting point made on Twitter... a guy went into a game store and tried to pre-order the new 'Elder Scrolls game', but the woman only recognized the game when he used the word Skyrim. I wasn't aware that there was a series until I read the full Oblivion game title.

On another note, Notch was filmed having a conversation with Todd Howard at e3. They didn't have any dispute there, so I assume it's Zenimax's lawyers that are picking this fight.

I fail to understand how this is an issue, yet the fact Skyrim and Minecraft are forecast for full release on the same date, 11.11.11.
Back to top Go down
Arbiter
Adventurer
Adventurer
Arbiter

So I heard... Empty
PostSubject: Re: So I heard...   So I heard... EmptyAugust 6th 2011, 1:23 pm

Bronze wrote:
There was an interesting point made on Twitter... a guy went into a game store and tried to pre-order the new 'Elder Scrolls game', but the woman only recognized the game when he used the word Skyrim. I wasn't aware that there was a series until I read the full Oblivion game title.

On another note, Notch was filmed having a conversation with Todd Howard at e3. They didn't have any dispute there, so I assume it's Zenimax's lawyers that are picking this fight.

I fail to understand how this is an issue, yet the fact Skyrim and Minecraft are forecast for full release on the same date, 11.11.11.

To be honest,it can go either way.

The elder scrolls is big and all. It also has a trademark of "the Elder Scrolls".
But one word isn't going to win anything.

World of warcraft
halo wars
cod world at war
gears of war
god of war

They all have "war".
Back to top Go down
Bronze
Vanguard
Vanguard
Bronze

Registration date : 2009-05-24

So I heard... Empty
PostSubject: Re: So I heard...   So I heard... EmptyAugust 6th 2011, 2:05 pm

Indeed.

I think it's just Bethesda looking to take down any competition and have any opportunity to dominate the news. They're stuck in a very short pre-Christmas window and with Battlefield 3 and MW3, among other games being released they need as much publicity as possible...
Back to top Go down
JazzDawg
Vanguard
Vanguard
JazzDawg

Registration date : 2008-03-27

So I heard... Empty
PostSubject: Re: So I heard...   So I heard... EmptyAugust 6th 2011, 3:40 pm

Bronze wrote:
Indeed.

I think it's just Bethesda looking to take down any competition and have any opportunity to dominate the news. They're stuck in a very short pre-Christmas window and with Battlefield 3 and MW3, among other games being released they need as much publicity as possible...

Exactly. Although it's kind of hard to forget about Skyrim due to the successes of Oblivion and the Fallout games, a lot of other great games are coming out too.

Even though I highly doubt they will win this dispute, they are getting more and more publicity from it as we speak.

Also on a side note, I believe Notch said he was pushing back the date Minecraft is to come out because (1) it won't be ready yet and (2) there are too many other things coming out on the same day. It would blow to have Minecraft come out in the midst of a bunch of other more popular movies and games.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

So I heard... Empty
PostSubject: Re: So I heard...   So I heard... Empty

Back to top Go down

So I heard...
Page 1 of 1