Club Penguin Planet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

BLood Diamonds

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

BLood Diamonds Empty
PostSubject: BLood Diamonds   BLood Diamonds EmptyJanuary 29th 2009, 1:17 am

Has anyone ever heard of Blood Diamonds? It is the cruelest thing I ever heard of:

Sierra Leonne is a country in Africa with many diamond mines. Children there are forced to mine and live this way. If there not mining, there put into armies and are drugged so they will kill. To ensure they will work for them, limbs are vut off frequently to scare them. Kayne West made a video to promote awareness. When I heard this all, I was sick to my stomach. I mean, what if you had to work in a mine and if you didnt your hands would be cut off? Heres some pictures:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

:(
Back to top Go down
Kool Kat
Vanguard
Vanguard
Kool Kat

Registration date : 2008-08-31

BLood Diamonds Empty
PostSubject: Re: BLood Diamonds   BLood Diamonds EmptyJanuary 29th 2009, 4:31 am

yeah, my major geography assignment last year was on this. we had to choose a country and an issue (they had a list of issues like urbanisation, tourism, human rights, access to fresh water etc etc.) and create a website on it. so i chose Sierra Leone - Human Rights. << My main focus was blood diamonds (the diamond trade there) and child soldiers.

Theres a group called the RUF (revolutionary united front) which play a big part of the inhuman behaviour towards children in sierra leone. RUF are actually one of the rebel groups.
If you want to learn more about this issue the Human Rights Watch website would be a good place to visit.

There was also a movie called "Blood Diamond" made, which is about the sierra leone diamond trade. Its one of my favourite movies, and i do recommend it strongly although not for young kids as it has a lot of swearing and violence.

And the saddest thing is, not many people know about this issue and that most of our diamonds come from Sierra Leone.
Thats why i say NO to diamonds. =)
Back to top Go down

BLood Diamonds Empty
PostSubject: Re: BLood Diamonds   BLood Diamonds EmptyJanuary 29th 2009, 9:47 pm

Ya, buy conflict free diamonds. I really want to see the movie Blood Diamond
Back to top Go down
Paint Ninja
Adept
Adept

Registration date : 2008-11-05

BLood Diamonds Empty
PostSubject: Re: BLood Diamonds   BLood Diamonds EmptyJanuary 30th 2009, 1:04 am

I have been wondering where Kanye West gotten that song from. This is so sad. Thank goodness, I don't wear diamonds at all. If they are treated like this, why wear diamonds, when half the time, they don't know where they get the diamonds from.
Back to top Go down
Snowball423
Vanguard
Vanguard
Snowball423

Registration date : 2008-06-05

BLood Diamonds Empty
PostSubject: Re: BLood Diamonds   BLood Diamonds EmptyJanuary 30th 2009, 1:17 am

If they get their hands cut off, how do they mine/carry weapons?

Sad :(
Back to top Go down
Unarae
Sidekick
Sidekick
Unarae

Registration date : 2008-11-16

BLood Diamonds Empty
PostSubject: Re: BLood Diamonds   BLood Diamonds EmptyJanuary 30th 2009, 1:17 am

I don't wear diamonds, either. I never liked them, even before the movie Blood Diamond was released, which I've also seen. I was very impressed by the information that was shown in the movie, even though there was alot of violence and other stuff that young kids might not like. I've since decided to choose a plain gold band to wear as my engagement ring, though that would have been a personal choice even before Blood Diamond was released. The diamond industry is not the innocent industry people believe it to be, and the movie makes it clear that many people have been deceived for several generations. I would highly encourage anyone to see this movie and be educated about the truth behind diamond mining. I wouldn't even consider wearing an heirloom diamond, cos who knows for how long this violence has been going on? That's my view on it.
Back to top Go down

BLood Diamonds Empty
PostSubject: Re: BLood Diamonds   BLood Diamonds EmptyJanuary 30th 2009, 1:19 am

Thankfully, diamonds are now eing traced from conflict free countrie. Theese are the ones sold in stores. Its really depressing.

Idk if this is acceptable, but and one.org you can register to help these countries.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

BLood Diamonds Empty
PostSubject: Re: BLood Diamonds   BLood Diamonds Empty

Back to top Go down

BLood Diamonds
Page 1 of 1