Club Penguin Planet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Adding Alphas to Layers in PS....

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Adsertif.
Hero of Time
Hero of Time
Adsertif.

Registration date : 2008-02-03

Adding Alphas to Layers in PS.... Empty
PostSubject: Adding Alphas to Layers in PS....   Adding Alphas to Layers in PS.... EmptyJuly 15th 2008, 11:52 pm

How do you alpha a layer in photoshop, in other words how would you add an alpha to a layer like in GIMP you right click and it says Add Alpha to Layer well PSCS3 doesn't have that, how would you get to it there?
Back to top Go down
ParkourSAM
Digintary
Digintary
ParkourSAM

Registration date : 2008-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Adding Alphas to Layers in PS....   Adding Alphas to Layers in PS.... EmptyJuly 15th 2008, 11:54 pm

What you mean an, "Alpha Layer". What does it do? You could be thinking of a layer mask or a vector mask but there is no such thing as an, "Alpha Layer" In Photoshop what it is in Gimp.

Last edited by Robodragon on July 16th 2008, 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Adsertif.
Hero of Time
Hero of Time
Adsertif.

PostSubject: Re: Adding Alphas to Layers in PS....   Adding Alphas to Layers in PS.... EmptyJuly 16th 2008, 12:07 am

It selects the object in the layer, so you can make it grow, etc.
Back to top Go down
ParkourSAM
Digintary
Digintary
ParkourSAM

PostSubject: Re: Adding Alphas to Layers in PS....   Adding Alphas to Layers in PS.... EmptyJuly 16th 2008, 12:09 am

It Selects the render and resizes it? All I know is an Alpha Channel, if your thinking of that ;)
Back to top Go down
Adsertif.
Hero of Time
Hero of Time
Adsertif.

PostSubject: Re: Adding Alphas to Layers in PS....   Adding Alphas to Layers in PS.... EmptyJuly 16th 2008, 12:18 am

Yesh that!
Back to top Go down
ParkourSAM
Digintary
Digintary
ParkourSAM

PostSubject: Re: Adding Alphas to Layers in PS....   Adding Alphas to Layers in PS.... EmptyJuly 16th 2008, 12:23 am

So it selects all the render? and then you can resize it? You can just do that by pressing Crtl+T and then while holding the shift key drag it down from the corner.
Back to top Go down
Adsertif.
Hero of Time
Hero of Time
Adsertif.

PostSubject: Re: Adding Alphas to Layers in PS....   Adding Alphas to Layers in PS.... EmptyJuly 16th 2008, 12:25 am

Yesh I know that, but I need an alpha channel, like how do you select the render like perfectly, the way it does it in GIMP?
Back to top Go down
ParkourSAM
Digintary
Digintary
ParkourSAM

PostSubject: Re: Adding Alphas to Layers in PS....   Adding Alphas to Layers in PS.... EmptyJuly 16th 2008, 12:27 am

With a Black Background or Acctully Render the image?
Back to top Go down
Adsertif.
Hero of Time
Hero of Time
Adsertif.

PostSubject: Re: Adding Alphas to Layers in PS....   Adding Alphas to Layers in PS.... EmptyJuly 16th 2008, 12:30 am

This:
http://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/modPage.asp?ID=506

It doesn't tell me how to do it, but it will tell you what the heck I'm talking about.
Back to top Go down
ParkourSAM
Digintary
Digintary
ParkourSAM

PostSubject: Re: Adding Alphas to Layers in PS....   Adding Alphas to Layers in PS.... EmptyJuly 16th 2008, 9:47 am

I'll get another PS book from the library, then I'll tell you how to do it ;) I had it in one of my other books before I gave it back but I forgot how to do it.
Back to top Go down
Adsertif.
Hero of Time
Hero of Time
Adsertif.

PostSubject: Re: Adding Alphas to Layers in PS....   Adding Alphas to Layers in PS.... EmptyJuly 16th 2008, 11:31 am

OK thanks...
Back to top Go down
Tricky
Vanguard
Vanguard
Tricky

Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Adding Alphas to Layers in PS....   Adding Alphas to Layers in PS.... EmptyJuly 16th 2008, 3:02 pm

Is this what you mean?:

Adding Alphas to Layers in PS.... Untitl10
Back to top Go down
ParkourSAM
Digintary
Digintary
ParkourSAM

PostSubject: Re: Adding Alphas to Layers in PS....   Adding Alphas to Layers in PS.... EmptyJuly 16th 2008, 3:25 pm

Thats not what he means. I sorta know how to do it, but not that much.
Back to top Go down
Tricky
Vanguard
Vanguard
Tricky

PostSubject: Re: Adding Alphas to Layers in PS....   Adding Alphas to Layers in PS.... EmptyJuly 16th 2008, 6:04 pm

Then what? That is an Alpha Channel. Is this what you mean?: http://www.planetphotoshop.com/design-with-alpha-channel.html
Back to top Go down
Adsertif.
Hero of Time
Hero of Time
Adsertif.

PostSubject: Re: Adding Alphas to Layers in PS....   Adding Alphas to Layers in PS.... EmptyJuly 16th 2008, 6:17 pm

Yesh, thanks Tricky, that too, but how do you select the image/text like in GIMP and than nake it grow a certain amount...
Back to top Go down
Tricky
Vanguard
Vanguard
Tricky

PostSubject: Re: Adding Alphas to Layers in PS....   Adding Alphas to Layers in PS.... EmptyJuly 16th 2008, 6:21 pm

Scale? OK, I'm getting confused.
Back to top Go down
Adsertif.
Hero of Time
Hero of Time
Adsertif.

PostSubject: Re: Adding Alphas to Layers in PS....   Adding Alphas to Layers in PS.... EmptyJuly 16th 2008, 6:29 pm

No, see in GIMP I remember you could right click a layer and it said, "Add Alpha Channel" so you did, and yo clicked the "Select" button on top and it said "Grow" you clicked that than a window came up you could make it grow as many pixels as you wanted, just how do you do that, sorry for the confuson.
Back to top Go down
Tricky
Vanguard
Vanguard
Tricky

PostSubject: Re: Adding Alphas to Layers in PS....   Adding Alphas to Layers in PS.... EmptyJuly 16th 2008, 7:22 pm

I think I get what your saying. Its the same as GIMP pretty much. Make sure the layer is selected and then go into channels and add one. Then go to Select > Load Selection and then you can make it grow.

Is that what you mean?
Back to top Go down
ParkourSAM
Digintary
Digintary
ParkourSAM

PostSubject: Re: Adding Alphas to Layers in PS....   Adding Alphas to Layers in PS.... EmptyJuly 16th 2008, 7:23 pm

Thats what I think he means. Ha ha, I'm not as good as you tricky, should go to PS classes when school starts again :P
Back to top Go down
Adsertif.
Hero of Time
Hero of Time
Adsertif.

PostSubject: Re: Adding Alphas to Layers in PS....   Adding Alphas to Layers in PS.... EmptyJuly 16th 2008, 7:40 pm

Does that same thing apply to text layers too Tricky?
Back to top Go down
ParkourSAM
Digintary
Digintary
ParkourSAM

PostSubject: Re: Adding Alphas to Layers in PS....   Adding Alphas to Layers in PS.... EmptyJuly 16th 2008, 7:41 pm

You might have to rasterize it first, and if you want it to just be bigger just press Crtl+T...
Back to top Go down
Tricky
Vanguard
Vanguard
Tricky

PostSubject: Re: Adding Alphas to Layers in PS....   Adding Alphas to Layers in PS.... EmptyJuly 16th 2008, 8:53 pm

Yeah. Rasterize it and then it can be used as a image. Make sure you have your text as you want it though, it can not be changed after it has been rasterized.

Robodragon- I have never taken a class or read a book about Photoshop. I haven't even read the instructions or help part of it. I learned by tutorials and just useing.

On Topic: I was unsure of what you ment about the alpha channels. I have used them tons of times before but I just confused myself. After you told me how you do it in GIMP it popped into my mind.
Back to top Go down
ParkourSAM
Digintary
Digintary
ParkourSAM

PostSubject: Re: Adding Alphas to Layers in PS....   Adding Alphas to Layers in PS.... EmptyJuly 16th 2008, 8:55 pm

Channels are hard to use :P

I'm going to take classes so I could be the best Photoshop Nerd *geeky face*
Back to top Go down
Tricky
Vanguard
Vanguard
Tricky

PostSubject: Re: Adding Alphas to Layers in PS....   Adding Alphas to Layers in PS.... EmptyJuly 17th 2008, 2:03 am

Robodragon wrote:
Channels are hard to use :P

I'm going to take classes so I could be the best Photoshop Nerd *geeky face*

Online classes or classes near you? I know of no Photoshop classes around me.
Back to top Go down
ParkourSAM
Digintary
Digintary
ParkourSAM

PostSubject: Re: Adding Alphas to Layers in PS....   Adding Alphas to Layers in PS.... EmptyJuly 17th 2008, 8:51 am

Classes near me. My guitar teacher knows alot of places. One is the Apple Store, but they use Macs :P If they're good then maybe I'll have classes from them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adding Alphas to Layers in PS....   Adding Alphas to Layers in PS.... Empty

Back to top Go down

Adding Alphas to Layers in PS....
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next