Club Penguin Planet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Problem entering text to send to bubble over my penguin

Go down 
+3
Greenday/tim123
Green Puffle
critterdoc
7 posters
AuthorMessage
critterdoc
Lurker
Lurker
critterdoc

Registration date : 2009-01-24

Problem entering text to send to bubble over my penguin Empty
PostSubject: Problem entering text to send to bubble over my penguin   Problem entering text to send to bubble over my penguin EmptyJanuary 24th 2009, 10:47 am

I logged onto my grandson's penguin account to surprise him with a membership and in the process navigated the penguin world to the degree that I generated my own penguin so I could meet the boy online.

On my office mac, a three year old lappy running under OS 10.4.11, all appears to be working fine and I can successfully enter and send text to the bubble that hovers above my penguin. On my 'intel' iMac at home which runs under OS 10.5.??? I see no cursor and am unable to enter text into the rectangular text input dialog box near the bottom of the screen. so I am assuming that I will not be able to talk to him when we are near each other on the screen.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be causing this problem and how I might work around it?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Green Puffle
Super-Human
Super-Human
Green Puffle

Registration date : 2008-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Problem entering text to send to bubble over my penguin   Problem entering text to send to bubble over my penguin EmptyJanuary 24th 2009, 10:53 am

Firstly, welcome.

Anyway, if no cursor appears at all, then there must be something wrong. Also, try clicking the button on the far left to the side of the text box for some pre-set prases.
Back to top Go down
Greenday/tim123
Sidekick
Sidekick
Greenday/tim123

Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Problem entering text to send to bubble over my penguin   Problem entering text to send to bubble over my penguin EmptyJanuary 24th 2009, 11:01 am

Sometimes, you may have an issue with how the game has loaded.
Try logging off, and logging back in again.
Also, is the penguin you created got 'Ultimate Safe Chat'? (Though if it's the same penguin you used at work, it won't be; as you could talk there.)
If so, you may need to change that via the 'Manage Account' section.
If the problem persists, you can ask here, or send an email to 'support@clubpenguin.com'

I've also just had a look at your original post, and noticed that you say there is no cursor. You may have to click inside the box itself for the cursor to appear. If that doesn't work, try pressing the 'Tab' button on your keyboard until a flashing cursor appears inside the text box.

Also, you can only talk directly to your grandson if he is in the same room as you.
If you don't know what room he is in, add him to your 'Buddy List' and use the 'Find Player' button, located on the penguins player card.

I wish you good times waddling around in the future.

Best fishes,
Greenday

Last edited by Greenday/tim123 on January 24th 2009, 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Green Puffle
Super-Human
Super-Human
Green Puffle

PostSubject: Re: Problem entering text to send to bubble over my penguin   Problem entering text to send to bubble over my penguin EmptyJanuary 24th 2009, 11:03 am

Greenday/tim123 wrote:
Sometimes, you may have an issue with how the game has loaded.
Try logging off, and logging back in again.
Also, is the penguin you created got 'Ultimate Safe Chat'? (Though if it's the same penguin you used at work, it won't be; as you could talk there.)
If so, you may need to change that via the 'Manage Account' section.
If the problem persists, you can ask here, or send an email to 'support@clubpenguin.com'

Also, you can only talk directly to your grandson if he is in the same room as you.
If you don't know what room he is in, add him to your 'Buddy List' and use the 'Find Player' button, located on the penguins player card.

I wish you good times waddling around in the future.

Best fishes,
Greenday
He said that the text box was there at all, so it can't be on USC.
All the rest of that message is true, though...
Back to top Go down
Greenday/tim123
Sidekick
Sidekick
Greenday/tim123

PostSubject: Re: Problem entering text to send to bubble over my penguin   Problem entering text to send to bubble over my penguin EmptyJanuary 24th 2009, 11:04 am

I've update my post with other possible reasons.

Best fishes,
Greenday
Back to top Go down
critterdoc
Lurker
Lurker
critterdoc

PostSubject: Re: Problem entering text to send to bubble over my penguin   Problem entering text to send to bubble over my penguin EmptyJanuary 24th 2009, 12:03 pm

Green Puffle wrote:
Firstly, welcome.

Anyway, if no cursor appears at all, then there must be something wrong. Also, try clicking the button on the far left to the side of the text box for some pre-set prases.

The pre-set phrases worked right out the box. The only problem I can so far see is my inability to enter text in the dialog box on the intel iMac. I have clicked widely across the dialog box and do not get a cursor.

FWIW [obviously] I have no problem entering alpha-numric text into the log-on dialog or anywhere else on the website.

My grandson was delirious last night when he discovered the membership that we set up for him yesterday. The little man had saved 5 bucks and literally pleaded us to "take him to the PO so he could mail it to CP because no one at his house would do that for him" which demanded strong grand-parental preemptive action on our part. :D

Here I am surely a whole lot older than the average penguineer and I find myself in awe of the nature of the interactive world that CP has developed. The name I chose for my beast, Flea Flicker, is derived from my grandson's (an accomplished football technician type) favorite all time "gotcha" play. I was hoping to encounter him and start bubbling textural hints which he should be failiiar with to see how long it takes him to realize that his "Pops" also has a penguin. I'm going to try the suggestions made in this thread when I get home to the iMac later this am and see what I can do on my end. I sure home this is not an unique incompatibility with OS 10.5 but we'll see.

Thanks so much to all for your quick responses. From what I've sensed so far while perusing the penguin world, your quick and sincere responses do not surprise me at all. I assume that old folks are allowed to play there and here too. I wonder if I can buy a 'walking cane' online. LOL but perhaps a good suggestion for the good folks at CP!
Back to top Go down
Snowing
Lurker
Lurker
Snowing

PostSubject: Re: Problem entering text to send to bubble over my penguin   Problem entering text to send to bubble over my penguin EmptyJanuary 24th 2009, 12:23 pm

Is the text box there, or can't you see the text box at the bottom of the Club Penguin screen?
Back to top Go down
Greenday/tim123
Sidekick
Sidekick
Greenday/tim123

PostSubject: Re: Problem entering text to send to bubble over my penguin   Problem entering text to send to bubble over my penguin EmptyJanuary 24th 2009, 12:54 pm

I'm glad that your Grandson was ecstatic to see his new penguin membership.

It really adds to the experience.

Club Penguin will be great for your Grandson; it really gives an insight into the world of social networking.

I hope you and your Grandson continue to waddle around the penguin world, and discover cool new things.

Best fishes,
Greenday
Back to top Go down
Devious Dale
Hero for Hire
Hero for Hire
Devious Dale

Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Problem entering text to send to bubble over my penguin   Problem entering text to send to bubble over my penguin EmptyJanuary 24th 2009, 1:11 pm

Try upgrading your Intel Mac to 10.5.6 unless you're already there. If not, try reinstalling Safari or get another Web Browser.

Camino | www.caminobrowser.org

Firefox | www.getfirefox.com

Cruz | www.cruzapp.org

Last edited by Devious Dale on January 24th 2009, 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Included "www" on links.)
Back to top Go down
Mumbo Jumbo
Mercenary
Mercenary
Mumbo Jumbo

Registration date : 2008-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Problem entering text to send to bubble over my penguin   Problem entering text to send to bubble over my penguin EmptyJanuary 24th 2009, 4:58 pm

Can you see the box, or is it not there at all? And try updating to the highest browser, and to the highest Adobe Flash player.

critterdoc wrote:
I wonder if I can buy a 'walking cane' online. LOL but perhaps a good suggestion for the good folks at CP!

You can, actually, but it's not currently in the catalog 8D
Back to top Go down
Greenday/tim123
Sidekick
Sidekick
Greenday/tim123

PostSubject: Re: Problem entering text to send to bubble over my penguin   Problem entering text to send to bubble over my penguin EmptyJanuary 24th 2009, 7:00 pm

If all else fails, try google chrome.

http://google.com/chrome
Back to top Go down
critterdoc
Lurker
Lurker
critterdoc

PostSubject: Re: Problem entering text to send to bubble over my penguin   Problem entering text to send to bubble over my penguin EmptyJanuary 24th 2009, 7:51 pm

Devious Dale wrote:
Try upgrading your Intel Mac to 10.5.6 unless you're already there. If not, try reinstalling Safari or get another Web Browser.

Cruz | www.cruzapp.org

Oops, sorry, I am already at 10.5.6, 3.2.1 Safari, and 3.0.5 Firefox.

Curiously, when I got home at midday I was able to type and blow bubbles, but the behavior is variable and perhaps related to throughput speed or server load??? Last night I could not transmit a character to save my tail feathers on any server.

I also note on the server selection page that the servers which contain the "message" icon on the server name/selection bar do not provide a text entry bar but they will produce per-set message just fine. Is that expected?
I 'supoze that finding the boy will be tedious if I don't already know where he is because I'll have to search the logged on list for every town, room anad server - right?

As always, thanks...
Back to top Go down
Green Puffle
Super-Human
Super-Human
Green Puffle

PostSubject: Re: Problem entering text to send to bubble over my penguin   Problem entering text to send to bubble over my penguin EmptyJanuary 24th 2009, 8:24 pm

critterdoc wrote:
Devious Dale wrote:

Cruz | www.cruzapp.org

Oops, sorry, I am already at 10.5.6, 3.2.1 Safari, and 3.0.5 Firefox.

Curiously, when I got home at midday I was able to type and blow bubbles, but the behavior is variable and perhaps related to throughput speed or server load??? Last night I could not transmit a character to save my tail feathers on any server.

I also note on the server selection page that the servers which contain the "message" icon on the server name/selection bar do not provide a text entry bar but they will produce per-set message just fine. Is that expected?
I 'supoze that finding the boy will be tedious if I don't already know where he is because I'll have to search the logged on list for every town, room anad server - right?

As always, thanks...
Yes, it will be hard finding someone without knowing the server and room.
And there isn't supposed to be a text box on the server selection screen if that's what you mean (sorry, I don't get what you mean there). That's really strange about being able to talk at one time, then not at another.
Back to top Go down
critterdoc
Lurker
Lurker
critterdoc

PostSubject: Re: Problem entering text to send to bubble over my penguin   Problem entering text to send to bubble over my penguin EmptyJanuary 24th 2009, 11:42 pm

Green Puffle wrote:
I also note on the server selection page that the servers which contain the "message" icon on the server name/selection bar do not provide a text entry bar...

And there isn't supposed to be a text box on the server selection screen if that's what you mean (sorry, I don't get what you mean there). That's really strange about being able to talk at one time, then not at another.

No, what i said is that I see a "Message ICON" (not text box) that is identical in appearance to the icon which is on the far left left of the "toolbar" immediately left of the "Emotes" button that is at the bottom left of the page immediately to the left of the "Emotes" button for each town or room. Servers that contain that "icon" in their selection bar open into towns and rooms that DO NOT offer text input boxes in their toolbars at the bottom of the screen, or at least they don't on my computer. Why is that?
Back to top Go down
Chub 777
The Epic Guy
Chub 777

Registration date : 2008-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Problem entering text to send to bubble over my penguin   Problem entering text to send to bubble over my penguin EmptyJanuary 25th 2009, 5:49 am

critterdoc wrote:
Green Puffle wrote:
I also note on the server selection page that the servers which contain the "message" icon on the server name/selection bar do not provide a text entry bar...

No, what i said is that I see a "Message ICON" (not text box) that is identical in appearance to the icon which is on the far left left of the "toolbar" immediately left of the "Emotes" button that is at the bottom left of the page immediately to the left of the "Emotes" button for each town or room. Servers that contain that "icon" in their selection bar open into towns and rooms that DO NOT offer text input boxes in their toolbars at the bottom of the screen, or at least they don't on my computer. Why is that?
Ah,I see your point.They're called "SAFE CHAT SERVERS".The can only make you chat by using pre-selected messages.

Last edited by Chub 777 on January 25th 2009, 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mumbo Jumbo
Mercenary
Mercenary
Mumbo Jumbo

Registration date : 2008-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Problem entering text to send to bubble over my penguin   Problem entering text to send to bubble over my penguin EmptyJanuary 25th 2009, 6:24 am

Safe chat servers are for the younger generation whose parents wish them not to talk.
Back to top Go down
Greenday/tim123
Sidekick
Sidekick
Greenday/tim123

PostSubject: Re: Problem entering text to send to bubble over my penguin   Problem entering text to send to bubble over my penguin EmptyJanuary 25th 2009, 8:31 am

I don't suppose you could take a screenshot, and upload it via 'Imageshack' so we can see more clearly?

Best fishes,
Greenday
Back to top Go down
critterdoc
Lurker
Lurker
critterdoc

PostSubject: Re: Problem entering text to send to bubble over my penguin   Problem entering text to send to bubble over my penguin EmptyJanuary 25th 2009, 10:08 am

Greenday/tim123 wrote:
I don't suppose you could take a screenshot, and upload it via 'Imageshack' so we can see more clearly?

Best fishes,
Greenday

Sure I can GT, but now that the thingie has been ID's as a label for a Safe Chat server do you still want that image captured and uploaded?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Problem entering text to send to bubble over my penguin   Problem entering text to send to bubble over my penguin Empty

Back to top Go down

Problem entering text to send to bubble over my penguin
Page 1 of 1