Club Penguin Planet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Interesting Experience

Go down 
+5
Arbiter
Chub 777
Digit
I Am Fun1 =)
Cycle22
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Cycle22
Pinnacle of Survival
Pinnacle of Survival
Cycle22

Registration date : 2008-03-26

Interesting Experience Empty
PostSubject: Interesting Experience   Interesting Experience EmptyDecember 29th 2010, 12:40 pm

First of all, I would like to make it clear that this was more than 2 and a half years ago so a lot of things have changed since then for me and for Club Penguin. This takes place during the Summer of '08 when I still had an interest in this game.

Anyway, I was reading one of the new blog posts about some party (whatever was going on at this point) and saw that the name of the penguin who took the screenshot was partially visible. I didn't recognize it as one of the normal moderators so I decided to go to properties and find the link for the image. Upon doing this, I then went to the URL and changed the number at the end of it as it was common knowledge at this time that other pictures they took could be found this way (soandsoparty[number].jpg). I don't remember how many tries it took before there was a picture with the name fully exposed. I believe it was Deamama or something close to that. Anyway, since I was curious, I went to the login in screen and attempted a variety of different passwords to see if it was possible to log on to. My first attempt at the password "deamama" (or whatever the name was) was accepted. I was very suprised as I expected more security on a penguin that was used by staff. Anyway, I logged in to a server with few people and decided to see that it had in terms of items and stuff. First, I checked its days played and found out that the account was only about 30 days old. Despite this, it had every item in the history of Club Penguin, including the beta hat. This was kind of surprising too since you would think they would want to not direct much attention to this account, especially when it had all this. Anyway, this is all that I really remember, I don't remember who was on its friends list and what the igloo looked like. That very day, I was going on vacation so I wouldn't be able to log on to it for about a week. When I came back, I found that the password had been changed. This meant that a. They found out it had been breached by me, or b. Someone else breached it and they found out. B is unlikely though, as I never read about anyone else ever logging in.

Finally, what was the point of posting all this you might ask? 3 reasons that I can think of. First, to show how Club Penguin's security isn't all that high (I believe there were rumors around this time that you needed the correct IP to log on Moderators). Second, gaining access to a staff account is a fairly serious event and could have resulted in me being banned forever. I don't really have much interest in Club Penguin anymore so wouldn't care that much if it happened. Third, I'm bored, this topic will hopefully get some posts, and we can have a discussion of something interesting for once.

Thank you for reading if you read all that. Now what is your opinion on this?
Back to top Go down
I Am Fun1 =)
Vagabond
Vagabond
I Am Fun1 =)

Registration date : 2010-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Experience   Interesting Experience EmptyDecember 29th 2010, 1:01 pm

Cycle22 wrote:
First of all, I would like to make it clear that this was more than 2 and a half years ago so a lot of things have changed since then for me and for Club Penguin. This takes place during the Summer of '08 when I still had an interest in this game.

Anyway, I was reading one of the new blog posts about some party (whatever was going on at this point) and saw that the name of the penguin who took the screenshot was partially visible. I didn't recognize it as one of the normal moderators so I decided to go to properties and find the link for the image. Upon doing this, I then went to the URL and changed the number at the end of it as it was common knowledge at this time that other pictures they took could be found this way (soandsoparty[number].jpg). I don't remember how many tries it took before there was a picture with the name fully exposed. I believe it was Deamama or something close to that. Anyway, since I was curious, I went to the login in screen and attempted a variety of different passwords to see if it was possible to log on to. My first attempt at the password "deamama" (or whatever the name was) was accepted. I was very suprised as I expected more security on a penguin that was used by staff. Anyway, I logged in to a server with few people and decided to see that it had in terms of items and stuff. First, I checked its days played and found out that the account was only about 30 days old. Despite this, it had every item in the history of Club Penguin, including the beta hat. This was kind of surprising too since you would think theywould want to not direct much attention to this account, especially when it had all this. Anyway, this is all that I really remember, I don't remember who was on its friends list and what the igloo looked like. That very day, I was going on vacation so I wouldn't be able to log on to it for about a week. When I came back, I found that the password had been changed. This meant that a. They found out it had been breached by me, or b. Someone else breached it and they found out. B is unlikely though, as I never read about anyone else ever logging in.
Finally, what was the point of posting all this you might ask? 3 reasons that I can think of. First, to show how Club Penguin's security isn't all that high (I believe there were rumors around thistime that you needed the correct IP to log on Moderators). Second, gaining access to a staff account is a fairly serious event and could have resulted in me being banned forever. I don't really have much interest in Club Penguin anymore so wouldn't care that much if it happened. Third, I'm bored, this topic will hopefully get some posts, and we can have a discussion of something interesting for once.

Ok, that's weird, now you would think they would defend their online game more than the people who paid GOOD MONEY to have an extra copy of a movie on their computer.
Are you sure that your penguin wasn't banned? I think they check your IP.
Back to top Go down
Cycle22
Pinnacle of Survival
Pinnacle of Survival
Cycle22

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Experience   Interesting Experience EmptyDecember 29th 2010, 1:04 pm

I Am Fun1 =) wrote:
Cycle22 wrote:

Anyway, I was reading one of the new blog posts about some party (whatever was going on at this point) and saw that the name of the penguin who took the screenshot was partially visible. I didn't recognize it as one of the normal moderators so I decided to go to properties and find the link for the image. Upon doing this, I then went to the URL and changed the number at the end of it as it was common knowledge at this time that other pictures they took could be found this way (soandsoparty[number].jpg). I don't remember how many tries it took before there was a picture with the name fully exposed. I believe it was Deamama or something close to that. Anyway, since I was curious, I went to the login in screen and attempted a variety of different passwords to see if it was possible to log on to. My first attempt at the password "deamama" (or whatever the name was) was accepted. I was very suprised as I expected more security on a penguin that was used by staff. Anyway, I logged in to a server with few people and decided to see that it had in terms of items and stuff. First, I checked its days played and found out that the account was only about 30 days old. Despite this, it had every item in the history of Club Penguin, including the beta hat. This was kind of surprising too since you would think theywould want to not direct much attention to this account, especially when it had all this. Anyway, this is all that I really remember, I don't remember who was on its friends list and what the igloo looked like. That very day, I was going on vacation so I wouldn't be able to log on to it for about a week. When I came back, I found that the password had been changed. This meant that a. They found out it had been breached by me, or b. Someone else breached it and they found out. B is unlikely though, as I never read about anyone else ever logging in.
Finally, what was the point of posting all this you might ask? 3 reasons that I can think of. First, to show how Club Penguin's security isn't all that high (I believe there were rumors around thistime that you needed the correct IP to log on Moderators). Second, gaining access to a staff account is a fairly serious event and could have resulted in me being banned forever. I don't really have much interest in Club Penguin anymore so wouldn't care that much if it happened. Third, I'm bored, this topic will hopefully get some posts, and we can have a discussion of something interesting for once.

Ok, that's weird, now you would think they would defend their online game more than the people who paid GOOD MONEY to have an extra copy of a movie on their computer.
Are you sure that your penguin wasn't banned? I think they check your IP.

As far as I know, my account as has never been banned. It might have been during the week I was on vacation, but they send you some sort of notification right?
Back to top Go down
Digit
The Other Guy
The Other Guy
Digit

Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Experience   Interesting Experience EmptyDecember 29th 2010, 4:58 pm

Very surpirising, the company is owned by Disney, so you obviously would expect it to be secure.
Back to top Go down
Chub 777
The Epic Guy
Chub 777

Registration date : 2008-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Experience   Interesting Experience EmptyDecember 29th 2010, 8:11 pm

The staff can do anything. They made the game. But the mystery is the security strength...
Back to top Go down
Arbiter
Adventurer
Adventurer
Arbiter

Registration date : 2010-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Experience   Interesting Experience EmptyDecember 29th 2010, 10:36 pm

I remember me onetime breaking into billybobs account.

I had everything including the beta hat and that stuff.

I could even banned other penguin! 8D
Back to top Go down
Thunder
I'm Dangerous
Thunder

Registration date : 2008-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Experience   Interesting Experience EmptyDecember 30th 2010, 12:09 am

Why did you tell us this now? It's cool but you should've told us sooner.
Back to top Go down
Cycle22
Pinnacle of Survival
Pinnacle of Survival
Cycle22

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Experience   Interesting Experience EmptyDecember 30th 2010, 12:07 pm

Alien Santa wrote:
I remember me onetime breaking into billybobs account.

I had everything including the beta hat and that stuff.

I could even banned other penguin! 8D

Somehow I doubt that...

ThunderBolt wrote:
Why did you tell us this now? It's cool but you should've told us sooner.

Because to be honest, I was kind of scared that I would be banned for thisl. By the time I no longer had that fear, I had long since quit Club Penguin and became inactive here.
Back to top Go down
Pinkamena Diane Pie
Mercenary
Mercenary
Pinkamena Diane Pie

Registration date : 2010-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Experience   Interesting Experience EmptyDecember 30th 2010, 1:36 pm

Ah, reminds me of breaking into Happy77's account.

I banned a person : DDDD
Back to top Go down
Arbiter
Adventurer
Adventurer
Arbiter

Registration date : 2010-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Experience   Interesting Experience EmptyDecember 30th 2010, 3:58 pm

I also broke in some persons account by mistake.
(toxicsmoke or something)
Back to top Go down
Brennan
Exemplar
Exemplar
Brennan

Registration date : 2008-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Experience   Interesting Experience EmptyDecember 30th 2010, 7:57 pm

You could still check if you were banned if you make a parents account. Lol I thought this was some noob post until I looked at the username :P. Lol i too go an account by mistake. Like 4 years ago I was looking at some unwanted penguins hoping for a tate one ( what a noob I was :P) and the username was bary something. Anyway I typed in Barry by mistake and got a member penguin :P.
Back to top Go down
Skyward Sam
Paragon
Paragon
Skyward Sam

Registration date : 2008-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Experience   Interesting Experience EmptyDecember 31st 2010, 5:22 pm

Wow that's amazing1
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Experience   Interesting Experience Empty

Back to top Go down

Interesting Experience
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Club Penguin Planet :: Club Penguin :: General Club Penguin Discussion-
Jump to: