Club Penguin Planet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Story Help

Go down 
+3
Argie
Hyperhawk
Egaro
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Egaro
Hero of Time
Hero of Time
Egaro

Registration date : 2008-01-26

Story Help Empty
PostSubject: Story Help   Story Help EmptyMay 7th 2008, 9:06 pm

Writing is an art, and if you treat it like art, then you're sure to find it both more enjoyable and more fluent.

So, let's get started!

I. Grammar

Grammar (not grammer!) is proper usage of punctuation, commas, semicolons, etcetera. Names are part of grammar (Dark, lol).

Using grammar properly is probably the second most important part of a good story. A story must be able to be read easily, or it gets bad ratings and generally flunks.

II. Spelling and Vocabulary

I hope you know what spelling is, or I'll be very disappointed. Spelling, quite simply, is accurately putting in letters in words so that the word is appropriate according to the dictionary. Or, in simpler terms, S-P-E-L-L, spell.

Vocabulary is correct usage of words in writing. For example, "I wandered down the street, content on finding the store." sounds more complex, but is wrong.

First off: wandered is a usable word here, but probably not the best choice. If you think about it, wandering generally means not having a purpose, which is disproved by the second part of the sentence. A better word might be trotted, or walked.

Next: "content" sounds right, doesn't it? Wrong. The word "content" would be used to show that one is satisfied, but that's not the definition used here. The proper word would be intent. What's learned here? They might rhyme, but they have different meanings--don't use words if you don't actually know what they mean. It's not going to make your story better; on the contrary, it'll be worse.

III. Developing

I suggest writing from either dreams or your own life/someone you know's life. When the story is true, it often helps people to relate (connect), which also increases popularity. If you are writing a book people at a specific age are supposed to read, use a character from that age range.

When you begin writing, make sure you start on an exciting note. It's very important to grab a reader's attention, or they are bored easily.

IV. "Rounded" Characters

Round characters are simply characters that are well-described and have an actual personality, detailed surroundings, and emotions. Not all characters should be rounded; most of the characters in your story probably won't be. However, make sure main characters and characters who continually pop up are rounded.

V. Point of View (Tense)

My two personal favorite "PoV"s are Third Person and First Person. Third person is writing from the point of a narrator who is not in the story; this can be in past or present tense. Past tense often sounds best in creative writing, so that would be best in my opinion. First person (I) is writing from the view of a certain character. For example, "I walked down the street, dreading coming home." This tense is fantastic for showing emotion, etc.

VI. Length

A good story isn't really based on length, but the proper amount of description (not too much!) and the action that takes place. Action, of course, isn't necessary, but if you're looking to grab the audience's attention, it's very good.

VII. Social Agency

New term for you! Agency, or finding your voice, is when a character takes action against a certain problem in the story. Every good story has a problem and a solution, which I'm sure you know--but to get a solution, the character must take action, or, in more advanced terms, use their agency.

Your piece of literature should center around a problem, and attempts should be made to find the solution; now, whether the problem is actually solved on a worldwide scale or just on a small scale, like a classroom or town, is up to you.

VIII. Cliffhangers

A cliffhanger is basically leaving a reader hanging. Make sure to leave off a chapter, or, if you enjoy this sort of thing, the book, at a cliffhanger--it's the best way to keep a reader reading. Remember: you can't lose your audience! Keep up the action.

Don't cut the writing off too short on a cliffhanger--if you cut it off before a problem is solved, or at the very least, attempted to be solved, you ruin your story.

So, you've got some guidelines to get you started, so get out there and get writin'!

Anything I should add? Tell me here!

If this is helpful, I'll make a guide to proper text criticism.
~Egaro

Last edited by Egaro on May 13th 2008, 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hyperhawk
Digintary
Digintary
Hyperhawk

Registration date : 2008-04-11

Story Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story Help   Story Help EmptyMay 8th 2008, 1:43 am

Wow!That was helpful!
Back to top Go down
Egaro
Hero of Time
Hero of Time
Egaro

Story Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story Help   Story Help EmptyMay 8th 2008, 5:22 pm

Thanks, Hyperhawk! :)
~Egaro
Back to top Go down
Argie
Hero of Time
Hero of Time
Argie

Registration date : 2008-03-08

Story Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story Help   Story Help EmptyMay 8th 2008, 8:28 pm

:) Very nice. Could use it myself.

Also, could you explain 2nd person, I never got that. I would think a story in second-person (according to what I've learned) is somewhat like this:

You step down the hall, quietly. You don't want to wake your parents, but you really don't want to stay in bed. Really, it's not possible to fall asleep.

Is that it?

Also, I always thought spelling and grammar were different things. Grammar is all that fancy-shmancy stuff. Parts of speech, sentence structure, tenses, etc etc BLA BLA BLA.

Last edited by Argie on May 8th 2008, 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
AlterBlade
Hero of Time
Hero of Time
AlterBlade

Registration date : 2008-02-03

Story Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story Help   Story Help EmptyMay 8th 2008, 8:38 pm

Nice guide, Egaro! ;)
Back to top Go down
Egaro
Hero of Time
Hero of Time
Egaro

Story Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story Help   Story Help EmptyMay 9th 2008, 8:32 am

I think you might be right about 2nd person; I'll look in to that with my reading teacher on Monday. ;)

Also, spelling falls under grammar, as far as I know--grammar is proper spelling, use of punctuation, etc. They always seem like separate things (spelling and grammar), but I do not believe they are. Then again, I might be wrong.
~Egaro
Back to top Go down
Hyperhawk
Digintary
Digintary
Hyperhawk

Registration date : 2008-04-11

Story Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story Help   Story Help EmptyMay 9th 2008, 10:06 am

Egaro wrote:
Thanks, Hyperhawk! :)
~Egaro
NP ;)
Back to top Go down
Argie
Hero of Time
Hero of Time
Argie

Story Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story Help   Story Help EmptyMay 9th 2008, 6:32 pm

Egaro wrote:
I think you might be right about 2nd person; I'll look in to that with my reading teacher on Monday. ;)

Also, spelling falls under grammar, as far as I know--grammar is proper spelling, use of punctuation, etc. They always seem like separate things (spelling and grammar), but I do not believe they are. Then again, I might be wrong.
~Egaro
I searched:
1. Wiki- nothing much outta that.
2. Ask.com- even less
3. Google- A bunch of lists of sites with tips for "Grammar and spelling" (such as)
Grammar, Spelling, and Theosaurus Check
Grammar and Spelling Check
Spelling and Grammar Tips
Spelling and Grammar

So far, I don't see anything that says spelling is grammar. Even the Wiki helped in not mentioning one in the other's page!
Back to top Go down
KingdomDarkII
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
KingdomDarkII

Registration date : 2008-02-23

Story Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story Help   Story Help EmptyMay 9th 2008, 6:47 pm

This should be stickied. (hint hint) *coughcough* Mods should sticky this or else i will mind crush you *coughcough*
Atem wrote:
MINDCRUSH!
lol jk
Back to top Go down
Egaro
Hero of Time
Hero of Time
Egaro

Story Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story Help   Story Help EmptyMay 12th 2008, 8:24 am

Lol, that would make a good siggy quote. :P

You're right about second person, btw--but it's a VERY hard format to work with. And I'm asking about spelling/grammar today.
~Egaro
Back to top Go down
Argie
Hero of Time
Hero of Time
Argie

Story Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story Help   Story Help EmptyMay 12th 2008, 7:24 pm

Egaro wrote:
Lol, that would make a good siggy quote. :P

You're right about second person, btw--but it's a VERY hard format to work with. And I'm asking about spelling/grammar today.
~Egaro
Woo-hoo! Guessing proves me right! But you gotta bring back those grammar/spelling results. :0o
Back to top Go down
*I.Bros.*
Hero of Time
Hero of Time
*I.Bros.*

Registration date : 2008-02-20

Story Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story Help   Story Help EmptyMay 12th 2008, 7:31 pm

nice job of explaining it!:)
Back to top Go down
Egaro
Hero of Time
Hero of Time
Egaro

Story Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story Help   Story Help EmptyMay 13th 2008, 6:42 pm

Thanks, 12 Bros.

Okay, changed around some things, made new sections:

Spelling and Vocabulary
Social Agency
Cliffhangers
~Egaro
Back to top Go down
Ninja Elf
Super-Human
Super-Human
Ninja Elf

Registration date : 2008-04-30

Story Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story Help   Story Help EmptyMay 13th 2008, 6:46 pm

Knew that information in primary
Back to top Go down
Egaro
Hero of Time
Hero of Time
Egaro

Story Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story Help   Story Help EmptyMay 15th 2008, 8:31 pm

Well, good for you. :P Lol. Now, what do you think of the information?

Is there anything else I need to add here?
~Egaro
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Story Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story Help   Story Help Empty

Back to top Go down

Story Help
Page 1 of 1