Club Penguin Planet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group

Go down 
+7
Plurk.
Name
bedbed
Emess
stevenF50
Techno
Hellopayton
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Hellopayton
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Hellopayton

Registration date : 2008-01-28

Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group Empty
PostSubject: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group EmptyAugust 24th 2010, 12:25 am

DO NOT QUOTE THIS POST
KEEP THIS THREAD BUMPED AND ALIVE

Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group Dqsqio
Club Penguin Planet's unofficial programming group

Table of Contents
  1. What is Programming Penguins?
  2. Who can join?
  3. Projects.
  4. IRC and why you should use it.

What is Programming Penguins?

Programming Penguins is, as I've said twice before now, Club Penguin Planet's unofficial "programming group." The idea is to form a team of people who can put their ideas and experience together to create working applications in order to keep the programming forum alive and healthy. In case you're new here, the name is a parody of the Programming and Technology forum's old name, Programming Penguins (taken from MCCP, who still uses that name).

Who can join?

Anyone with a basic knowledge of some kind of scripting or programming language can join. Exceptions can be made, of course, for some people, such as graphics designers, who help make our applications prettier. It's recommended, but not required, that you have a basic understanding of any of the following languages: PHP, Python, HTML, CSS, Actionscript 2/3, and VB6.

Don't wuss out just because you don't know most or all of those languages listed above. The point of Programming Penguins is to learn as we go along, so that the programming forum is kept alive, and more importantly, the people posting in it know what they're talking about.

Projects.

As soon as Programming Penguins gets going, this section will have our past, future, and current projects listed (but not necessarily in that order).

IRC and why you should use it.

Programming Penguins will be using IRC (internet relay chat; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IRC) to communicate quickly while working on projects. The reasons we are using IRC as opposed to something like Xat:

1. Xat and other "free Flash chatrooms" generally suck; Xat does not provide chat logging, a timestamp next to messages, you can't copy messages, it's too distracting, and finally, it's just annoying.
  2. IRC is a more traditional way for groups to communicate, and will help break newcomers into the "programmer" mindset (sort of).
  3. With IRC we have much more control over bans, and we have a lot more features that aren't completely useless.

Our IRC information is as follows:
#programming-penguins on irc.chatcafe.net port 6667.

You can connect with Mibbit (mibbit.com) web client or you can download an IRC client for yourself (a quick Google search will bring up some good results; xchat, mIRC, and Colloquy are just a few examples).

To register your nickname on #programming-penguins, use the following command:
Code:
/msg NickServ REGISTER <password> <email>
where <password> is your desired password and <email> is a valid e-mail address. You will be e-mailed a verification code. Once you have it, use the following command:
Code:
/msg NickServ AUTH <code>
where <code> is your authentication code.

A full list of IRC commands can be found here: http://www.unrealircd.com/files/docs/unreal32docs.html#useropercommands

If you have any questions feel free to ask me because I am here to answer them. Also go ahead and join please thanks.
Back to top Go down
Techno
Super-Human
Super-Human
Techno

Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group EmptyAugust 29th 2010, 11:07 am

Is this still alive?

If so, I might join.
Back to top Go down
Hellopayton
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Hellopayton

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group EmptyAugust 29th 2010, 11:55 am

Techno wrote:
Is this still alive?

If so, I might join.

It's still here if you want to join.
Back to top Go down
stevenF50
Super-Human
Super-Human
stevenF50

Registration date : 2009-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group EmptyAugust 29th 2010, 2:33 pm

Does JavaScript count?? I can code HTML and JavaScript.
Back to top Go down
Hellopayton
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Hellopayton

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group EmptyAugust 29th 2010, 3:01 pm

stevenF50 wrote:
Does JavaScript count?? I can code HTML and JavaScript.

The point of PP is to learn as we go and I could use someone who knows Javascript so yes, that counts.
Back to top Go down
stevenF50
Super-Human
Super-Human
stevenF50

Registration date : 2009-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group EmptyAugust 29th 2010, 3:38 pm

Okay so please can I join then?
Back to top Go down
Hellopayton
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Hellopayton

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group EmptyAugust 29th 2010, 4:01 pm

stevenF50 wrote:
Okay so please can I join then?

Sure
Back to top Go down
Emess
Adept
Adept

Registration date : 2009-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group EmptyAugust 29th 2010, 4:43 pm

I shall join. I have experience in HTML, CSS, a faint knowledge in Lua and Vb.net. And yes, I am a web designer.
Back to top Go down
Hellopayton
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Hellopayton

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group EmptyAugust 29th 2010, 5:27 pm

MrMess wrote:
I shall join. I have experience in HTML, CSS, a faint knowledge in Lua and Vb.net. And yes, I am a web designer.

Welcome aboard.
Back to top Go down
bedbed
Drifter
Drifter
bedbed

Registration date : 2010-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group EmptyAugust 30th 2010, 7:06 pm

If your going to be doing something interesting, I'm in.
I know PHP very well.
Back to top Go down
Hellopayton
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Hellopayton

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group EmptyAugust 30th 2010, 7:14 pm

bedbed wrote:
If your going to be doing something interesting, I'm in.
I know PHP very well.

I know you from PCL. Happy to have you. :)
Back to top Go down
bedbed
Drifter
Drifter
bedbed

Registration date : 2010-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group EmptyAugust 30th 2010, 7:42 pm

So like what are you going to be doing?
Back to top Go down
Hellopayton
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Hellopayton

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group EmptyAugust 30th 2010, 8:11 pm

bedbed wrote:
So like what are you going to be doing?

Anything that's not boring, has a bit of originality in it, and will give us all something to do. If you get on the IRC we can discuss stuff (irc.chatcafe.net:6667 #programming-penguins) because right now I am up for anything.
Back to top Go down
Emess
Adept
Adept

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group EmptyAugust 30th 2010, 8:33 pm

I am on IRC
Back to top Go down
Hellopayton
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Hellopayton

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group EmptyAugust 30th 2010, 8:34 pm

MrMess wrote:
I am on IRC

I don't see you online. Hold on.

edit: Switched clients, you're still not appearing online for me... sure you're in #programming-penguins on irc.chatcafe.net?
Back to top Go down
Emess
Adept
Adept

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group EmptyAugust 30th 2010, 8:47 pm

Strange, I've seen you on earlier. I am mrmess and you were Payton.
Back to top Go down
Hellopayton
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Hellopayton

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group EmptyAugust 30th 2010, 9:27 pm

Various people have been saying that the list of users currently on the IRC has been "messing up," as in certain people have been disappearing at random times... not sure about the issue, could be your client, could be ChatCafe.

Anyways, straight from the topic on the IRC:

http://pastebin.com/4Quh1tAL - Everyone read it, everyone put in their thoughts/suggestions/whatever, and if you want to help, tell us what you can do.
Back to top Go down
Name
Exemplar
Exemplar
Name

Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group EmptyAugust 31st 2010, 9:40 pm

I'd actually like to join...
I know how to code DLL's is Delphi..(still learning,but I have some basic knowledge)
I know php very well,I actually use to be apart of pcl.(back when spelling bots worked :P)
I obviously know HTML...
I actually know Java,lua and VB6.
I have sony vegas pro 9,so I could make videos,I also have Photoshop CS4 extended.
I helped in lots of projects,if you want I could show you in TeamViewer.

Back to top Go down
Hellopayton
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Hellopayton

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group EmptyAugust 31st 2010, 10:29 pm

Name wrote:
I'd actually like to join...
I know how to code DLL's is Delphi..(still learning,but I have some basic knowledge)
I know php very well,I actually use to be apart of pcl.(back when spelling bots worked :P)
I obviously know HTML...
I actually know Java,lua and VB6.
I have sony vegas pro 9,so I could make videos,I also have Photoshop CS4 extended.
I helped in lots of projects,if you want I could show you in TeamViewer.

You're in.
Back to top Go down
Plurk.
Mercenary
Mercenary
Plurk.

Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group EmptySeptember 5th 2010, 5:36 pm

I can professionally program ruby on rails...
Back to top Go down
Hellopayton
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Hellopayton

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group EmptySeptember 5th 2010, 7:58 pm

Does that mean you want to be in the group?
Back to top Go down
BT
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Registration date : 2008-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group EmptySeptember 5th 2010, 9:03 pm

The last thing Plurk can do is code.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group EmptySeptember 5th 2010, 9:07 pm

I'm pretty fluent in HTML and CSS. That's about it. But I'd love to learn PHP. I know very little, and would like to learn more. Care to help, Payton?

I'd get on the IRC right now, chatcafe seems to be down (or atleast me).
Back to top Go down
Hellopayton
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Hellopayton

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group EmptySeptember 5th 2010, 9:12 pm

Snookims: http://w3schools.com / http://php.net
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group EmptySeptember 5th 2010, 9:15 pm

Hellopayton wrote:
Snookims: http://w3schools.com / http://php.net

I know about w3 schools. I'm asking if I can go to you for help though.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group Empty

Back to top Go down

Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next