Club Penguin Planet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group

Go down 
+7
Plurk.
Name
bedbed
Emess
stevenF50
Techno
Hellopayton
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Hellopayton
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Hellopayton

Registration date : 2008-01-28

Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group - Page 2 EmptySeptember 5th 2010, 9:31 pm

Sure.
Back to top Go down
Plurk.
Mercenary
Mercenary
Plurk.

Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group - Page 2 EmptySeptember 6th 2010, 3:40 pm

Yes I want to be in the group.
I can do a bit of php and alot of Delphi.
Back to top Go down
Hellopayton
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Hellopayton

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group - Page 2 EmptySeptember 6th 2010, 5:14 pm

Plurk. wrote:
Yes I want to be in the group.
I can do a bit of php and alot of Delphi.

Okay, welcome.

In other news...

No one has really pitched me ideas for what we should work on and I haven't gotten feedback from anyone about the idea I posted (except for bedbed over PM).

I was kind of expecting this, but come on guys.
Back to top Go down
Tricky
Vanguard
Vanguard
Tricky

Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group - Page 2 EmptySeptember 6th 2010, 5:44 pm

.Snookims wrote:
I'm pretty fluent in HTML and CSS. That's about it. But I'd love to learn PHP. I know very little, and would like to learn more. Care to help, Payton?

I'd get on the IRC right now, chatcafe seems to be down (or atleast me).
What ever happened to you and Actionscript? ;)
Back to top Go down
Name
Exemplar
Exemplar
Name

Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group - Page 2 EmptySeptember 6th 2010, 6:18 pm

I think we should start off basic---
Yep,that means starting tutorials and getting our own forum...
Back to top Go down
Hellopayton
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Hellopayton

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group - Page 2 EmptySeptember 6th 2010, 6:46 pm

Name wrote:
I think we should start off basic---
Yep,that means starting tutorials and getting our own forum...

I can and will make a forum for us if we can get a good amount of activity going within the group. Also, what do you mean by tutorials?
Back to top Go down
bedbed
Drifter
Drifter
bedbed

Registration date : 2010-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group - Page 2 EmptySeptember 6th 2010, 8:49 pm

Here's a small project:
See the Forum Badges widget on the right?
That image has to be edited every time theres a new winner, helpful, artist, etc.
Instead we could make a simple html page for the admins, the form being Winner, helpful, artist, pwu, active, and then a submit button. When the admin clicks the submit button, it tells a php script to save the current winner, helpful etc into a mysql db, or a text file. Then another php script will read the contents of the db or text file and generate the Forum badges widget. So instead of them editing the image everytime, they just go to the html page enter the current winner. helpful, etc and press submit, walla the image changes in seconds :)
Back to top Go down
Hellopayton
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Hellopayton

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group - Page 2 EmptySeptember 6th 2010, 10:22 pm

bedbed wrote:
Here's a small project:
See the Forum Badges widget on the right?
That image has to be edited every time theres a new winner, helpful, artist, etc.
Instead we could make a simple html page for the admins, the form being Winner, helpful, artist, pwu, active, and then a submit button. When the admin clicks the submit button, it tells a php script to save the current winner, helpful etc into a mysql db, or a text file. Then another php script will read the contents of the db or text file and generate the Forum badges widget. So instead of them editing the image everytime, they just go to the html page enter the current winner. helpful, etc and press submit, walla the image changes in seconds :)

I like this idea, a lot. Let's do it.

New IRC info: irc.kbfail.net | Port 6667 | #programming-penguins
Back to top Go down
Tricky
Vanguard
Vanguard
Tricky

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group - Page 2 EmptySeptember 7th 2010, 12:23 am

You can not have it output the actual widget though. You would have to have it generate a badges image for the admins to add. Like have a blank template and then have the code add the text onto it. However, it would still have to be changed to match the themes of the forum as well.

You could not program the actual widget, because what would stop any random person from stumbling upon this page and editing the names to whatever they want. Sure a password field, but you know how great those are.
Back to top Go down
Hellopayton
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Hellopayton

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group - Page 2 EmptySeptember 7th 2010, 8:07 pm

Tricky wrote:
You can not have it output the actual widget though. You would have to have it generate a badges image for the admins to add. Like have a blank template and then have the code add the text onto it. However, it would still have to be changed to match the themes of the forum as well.

You could not program the actual widget, because what would stop any random person from stumbling upon this page and editing the names to whatever they want. Sure a password field, but you know how great those are.

I have a good idea of how we could get the image created. PHP supports image processing (http://php.net/manual/en/book.image.php), and there are packages that could assist in the creation of the badges image. As for the security, that can be very easily done.
Back to top Go down
bedbed
Drifter
Drifter
bedbed

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group - Page 2 EmptySeptember 7th 2010, 9:36 pm

The image would be a dynamic image, the admins wouldn't have to add the image. They just embed it like they would for any other image. Yes that means they would embed the .php script. And no one will stumble upon the page, and I will add a password to it too just in case. And if your really that scared about someone changing it, I'll make it so it only does it if the person using it matches with the admins IP, meaning only the admins can use it.
Back to top Go down
Hellopayton
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Hellopayton

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group - Page 2 EmptySeptember 7th 2010, 9:46 pm

bedbed wrote:
The image would be a dynamic image, the admins wouldn't have to add the image. They just embed it like they would for any other image. Yes that means they would embed the .php script. And no one will stumble upon the page, and I will add a password to it too just in case. And if your really that scared about someone changing it, I'll make it so it only does it if the person using it matches with the admins IP, meaning only the admins can use it.

People's IP addresses change over time, so I think the safest bet would be to set up a script with both a times attempted and timeout session; if you try to log in more than five times, you're locked out for an hour (time() - $_SESSION['timeout'] ...). When attempting to log in, the script checks if the timeout session is set; if it is, check if it is greater than 1800 seconds (thirty minutes). If that's true, destroy the session data and resubmit the form; otherwise, they're still locked out. Every time the user tries to log in, too, we check how many times they've attempted to log in and failed. On each failure, the session variable increases by one.

Obviously my post is incomplete and I left some small details out, but you get the idea.
Back to top Go down
bedbed
Drifter
Drifter
bedbed

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group - Page 2 EmptySeptember 8th 2010, 1:49 am

Hellopayton wrote:
bedbed wrote:

People's IP addresses change over time, so I think the safest bet would be to set up a script with both a times attempted and timeout session; if you try to log in more than five times, you're locked out for an hour (time() - $_SESSION['timeout'] ...). When attempting to log in, the script checks if the timeout session is set; if it is, check if it is greater than 1800 seconds (thirty minutes). If that's true, destroy the session data and resubmit the form; otherwise, they're still locked out. Every time the user tries to log in, too, we check how many times they've attempted to log in and failed. On each failure, the session variable increases by one.

Obviously my post is incomplete and I left some small details out, but you get the idea.

So pointless. No one is gonna even find the page. Even if you looked for it for hours.
And then someone magically finds the page(which won't happen), there will be a password.
And don't say a password won't stop them, and don't say the password is useless, it won't be bruteforceable, and if anything people would try to crack the admins password not the password to the widget...
It's not vulnerable at all and it's not hackable at all. Stop thinking like that.
And not everyone's IP changes, it depends if you have a dynamic IP or not.

So like, someone give the idea to an admin. Once that happens I'll need 5 seconds to make it.
Back to top Go down
Tricky
Vanguard
Vanguard
Tricky

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group - Page 2 EmptySeptember 8th 2010, 2:02 am

Badges isn't something to worry about security over. If you want to put the work into it, then great. However, it would be safer and more reliable to simply create a sig-gen. The admins would have to still change one little URL edit, but what's that to matter.

Also, isn't there a certain program that was made for things like this, to save time and make things easier. Oh yeah, Flash! Just get a good file uploader/server where you can change the file under one url rather than recreating it every time under a new one. It would add a lot more creativity into the process and, I believe, give it a cool effect. I mean, it could be set up to link you to that certain badge winner's account. Or bla, or bla, or bla.

Edit: I was posting this, but your post popped up when I want to accept it. So I'll edit this in now.
Quote :
So pointless. No one is gonna even find the page. Even if you looked for it for hours.
And then someone magically finds the page(which won't happen), there will be a password.
And don't say a password won't stop them, and don't say the password is useless, it won't be bruteforceable, and if anything people would try to crack the admins password not the password to the widget...
It's not vulnerable at all and it's not hackable at all. Stop thinking like that.
And not everyone's IP changes, it depends if you have a dynamic IP or not.

So like, someone give the idea to an admin. Once that happens I'll need 5 seconds to make it.
Where is the process in removing the url from the page. It is plainly simple to see any pages source code. In Safari, I can just right click and it is in the default drop down. If you know your way around a code, then finding your way upon a "hidden" page isn't too hard. However, there are still other ways of doing it. This is just a simple one that anyone can do. If you plan on having the badges just be text, then I'd prefer it the way it is now. However, if it were, to say, be a nice image where the text is coded in, then follow above.

Ha, tell that to mainstream hackers. The big ones. The ones who know what they are doing and are in it for the profits.

What if you were one of the admins that constantly updated this, but went on vacation or something of that sort? Your IP would be different and you would be disallowed from entering. Flaw.

-------------------
I'm not saying this is bad for a CPP Forum Badges widget, but if you were doing this for a profit and a larger web base, wouldn't you want to make sure all of this is pre-planned and corrected... before allowing it to be accessed by the public?

It's a learning experience, remember. Try not to downsize any project that you work on. Give each one your best work.

Winner!
Back to top Go down
Hellopayton
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Hellopayton

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group - Page 2 EmptySeptember 8th 2010, 2:21 am

I agree with Tricky, we shouldn't downsize the project, since this is all for learning and we want to do the best we can, in any case.

I've already got the log in script finished, too.
Back to top Go down
bedbed
Drifter
Drifter
bedbed

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group - Page 2 EmptySeptember 8th 2010, 1:09 pm

The image is going to look as nice as it is now. You sir are an idiot, you can't find the page by looking at cpp's source code because it won't be linked in the navbar or anything.
Go to my website and find all the secret pages that I have, if you find one, then you proved your point, but you won't.
Back to top Go down
Tricky
Vanguard
Vanguard
Tricky

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group - Page 2 EmptySeptember 8th 2010, 8:30 pm

bedbed wrote:
1.) The image is going to look as nice as it is now. 2.) You sir are an idiot, you can't find the page by looking at cpp's source code because it won't be linked in the navbar or anything. 3.) Go to my website and find all the secret pages that I have, if you find one, then you proved your point, but you won't.
1.) For it to be an image, it has to have a URL embedded SOMEWHERE on the page. You can't just create an image and hope it pops up on your site on it's own.

2.) How many times have I seen that. "You sir are an idiot." :roll: It almost seems as if you were trying to make a flame sound smart. CPP's source code is not just the text that you see all over the page. A page's source code will give you the HTML, the links, the coding, anything that was used to create this page by your browser. If it takes a URL to get an image onto a page, which it does, then the source code will reveal it.

Look deeper. When you are hacking, you can't just instantly go in for the kill. You look for anything that will help you out in getting what you want. The URL to the image would have to be hosted alongside the codings' page. After you've gotten close enough to the code as such, you just dig around for a while. I myself am not a web hacker and so I would not know what would be the best ways at doing things. However, what I do know is good enough to get me places.

3.) Because you probably don't link to those pages not once on your site. You don't have to for it to be found however. But, with that being said, again back to the link. If you don't link to it, then it wouldn't have much importance and I'm not going to look for it. Again phasing back into my last post. If you were say a big business hacker who got his money from hacking into peoples servers. Would you put work and effort into one that does not mention anything good worth taking on the site or would you go for the one that you know has some money hidden in it's wall. In another form, would you go for a site with different account info on it or a site with a password protected picture of a lolzcat?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
If you can't get what you want straight away, then narrow your search and delve deeper into anything that will help.
Back to top Go down
Plurk.
Mercenary
Mercenary
Plurk.

Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group - Page 2 EmptySeptember 9th 2010, 9:35 pm

Why the paragraphs and flaming, it's just a forum.
Back to top Go down
Tricky
Vanguard
Vanguard
Tricky

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group - Page 2 EmptySeptember 10th 2010, 1:13 am

Plurk. wrote:
Why the paragraphs and flaming, it's just a forum.
Gives me something to do, I suppose. You might say this is "just a forum". But couldn't you use that "just a..." excuse for a lot of things? Not everyone has the same views.
Back to top Go down
BT
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Registration date : 2008-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group - Page 2 EmptySeptember 10th 2010, 8:01 pm

bedbed wrote:
The image is going to look as nice as it is now. You sir are an idiot, you can't find the page by looking at cpp's source code because it won't be linked in the navbar or anything.
Go to my website and find all the secret pages that I have, if you find one, then you proved your point, but you won't.
To think I almost thought you were intelligent.
Back to top Go down
JayD
Lurker
Lurker
JayD

Registration date : 2010-08-16

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group - Page 2 EmptySeptember 10th 2010, 8:08 pm

Hellopayton wrote:
DO NOT QUOTE THIS POST
KEEP THIS THREAD BUMPED AND ALIVE

Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group - Page 2 Dqsqio
Club Penguin Planet's unofficial programming group

Table of Contents
  1. What is Programming Penguins?
  2. Who can join?
  3. Projects.
  4. IRC and why you should use it.

What is Programming Penguins?

Programming Penguins is, as I've said twice before now, Club Penguin Planet's unofficial "programming group." The idea is to form a team of people who can put their ideas and experience together to create working applications in order to keep the programming forum alive and healthy. In case you're new here, the name is a parody of the Programming and Technology forum's old name, Programming Penguins (taken from MCCP, who still uses that name).

Who can join?

Anyone with a basic knowledge of some kind of scripting or programming language can join. Exceptions can be made, of course, for some people, such as graphics designers, who help make our applications prettier. It's recommended, but not required, that you have a basic understanding of any of the following languages: PHP, Python, HTML, CSS, Actionscript 2/3, and VB6.

Don't wuss out just because you don't know most or all of those languages listed above. The point of Programming Penguins is to learn as we go along, so that the programming forum is kept alive, and more importantly, the people posting in it know what they're talking about.

Projects.

As soon as Programming Penguins gets going, this section will have our past, future, and current projects listed (but not necessarily in that order).

IRC and why you should use it.

Programming Penguins will be using IRC (internet relay chat; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IRC) to communicate quickly while working on projects. The reasons we are using IRC as opposed to something like Xat:

1. Xat and other "free Flash chatrooms" generally suck; Xat does not provide chat logging, a timestamp next to messages, you can't copy messages, it's too distracting, and finally, it's just annoying.
  2. IRC is a more traditional way for groups to communicate, and will help break newcomers into the "programmer" mindset (sort of).
  3. With IRC we have much more control over bans, and we have a lot more features that aren't completely useless.

Our IRC information is as follows:
#programming-penguins on irc.chatcafe.net port 6667.

You can connect with Mibbit (mibbit.com) web client or you can download an IRC client for yourself (a quick Google search will bring up some good results; xchat, mIRC, and Colloquy are just a few examples).

To register your nickname on #programming-penguins, use the following command:
Code:
/msg NickServ REGISTER <password> <email>
where <password> is your desired password and <email> is a valid e-mail address. You will be e-mailed a verification code. Once you have it, use the following command:
Code:
/msg NickServ AUTH <code>
where <code> is your authentication code.

A full list of IRC commands can be found here: http://www.unrealircd.com/files/docs/unreal32docs.html#useropercommands

If you have any questions feel free to ask me because I am here to answer them. Also go ahead and join please thanks.

I might join. I code HTML, CSS, XML, PHP, Java, XHTML and thats it.
Back to top Go down
bedbed
Drifter
Drifter
bedbed

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group - Page 2 EmptySeptember 11th 2010, 11:04 pm

Tricky wrote:
bedbed wrote:
1.) The image is going to look as nice as it is now. 2.) You sir are an idiot, you can't find the page by looking at cpp's source code because it won't be linked in the navbar or anything. 3.) Go to my website and find all the secret pages that I have, if you find one, then you proved your point, but you won't.
1.) For it to be an image, it has to have a URL embedded SOMEWHERE on the page. You can't just create an image and hope it pops up on your site on it's own.

2.) How many times have I seen that. "You sir are an idiot." :roll: It almost seems as if you were trying to make a flame sound smart. CPP's source code is not just the text that you see all over the page. A page's source code will give you the HTML, the links, the coding, anything that was used to create this page by your browser. If it takes a URL to get an image onto a page, which it does, then the source code will reveal it.

Look deeper. When you are hacking, you can't just instantly go in for the kill. You look for anything that will help you out in getting what you want. The URL to the image would have to be hosted alongside the codings' page. After you've gotten close enough to the code as such, you just dig around for a while. I myself am not a web hacker and so I would not know what would be the best ways at doing things. However, what I do know is good enough to get me places.

3.) Because you probably don't link to those pages not once on your site. You don't have to for it to be found however. But, with that being said, again back to the link. If you don't link to it, then it wouldn't have much importance and I'm not going to look for it. Again phasing back into my last post. If you were say a big business hacker who got his money from hacking into peoples servers. Would you put work and effort into one that does not mention anything good worth taking on the site or would you go for the one that you know has some money hidden in it's wall. In another form, would you go for a site with different account info on it or a site with a password protected picture of a lolzcat?

If you can't get what you want straight away, then narrow your search and delve deeper into anything that will help.

See the widget on the right? That's embedding an image. Change the embedded link to http://www.clubpenguinplanet.net/scriptthatgeneratesimage.php, was that so hard?
Now if you look at the source you will see that the image came from that link, but that doesn't give you any information on the html page used to submit the information. The html page will be something like http://www.clubpenguinplanet.net/yugft7hwfy82hjfiudd83r.html, and there will be nothing linking to it, making it impossible to find, and because its a bunch of random letters and numbers, it's impossible to guess.
Back to top Go down
Digit
The Other Guy
The Other Guy
Digit

Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group - Page 2 EmptySeptember 11th 2010, 11:50 pm

Im glad that people are liking these things but for people who don't know this kind of stuff, could you possibly like make a guide programming and like a vocab or something for what words mean for noobs like me.
:)
Back to top Go down
Tricky
Vanguard
Vanguard
Tricky

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group - Page 2 EmptySeptember 13th 2010, 5:34 pm

bedbed wrote:
Tricky wrote:
bedbed wrote:

See the widget on the right? That's embedding an image. Change the embedded link to http://www.clubpenguinplanet.net/scriptthatgeneratesimage.php, was that so hard?
Now if you look at the source you will see that the image came from that link, but that doesn't give you any information on the html page used to submit the information. The html page will be something like http://www.clubpenguinplanet.net/yugft7hwfy82hjfiudd83r.html, and there will be nothing linking to it, making it impossible to find, and because its a bunch of random letters and numbers, it's impossible to guess.
Now what would stop someone from going to the "www.clubpenguinplanet.net/scriptthatgeneratesimage.php" page? When they get there, what do you expect to show?
Back to top Go down
bedbed
Drifter
Drifter
bedbed

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group - Page 2 EmptySeptember 15th 2010, 10:09 pm

Tricky wrote:
bedbed wrote:
Tricky wrote:
bedbed wrote:

Now what would stop someone from going to the "www.clubpenguinplanet.net/scriptthatgeneratesimage.php" page? When they get there, what do you expect to show?

xD That page would be a blank page with the image, thats it. You can't see the source of the php file, like you can do with html.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group   Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Programming Penguins - CPP's unofficial programming group
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next